Welcome to the 2020-2021 Riverfield Chess Club!
Connecticut State Champions (Grade-Level or Divisional) in
2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2018, 2019, and 2020
Entering its 22nd year, Riverfield’s award-winning Chess Club is for 1st through 5th grade girls and boys of all experience levels – beginner to advanced. Chess is a time-tested game, dating back over 1,500 years. It is a fantastic way for children to have lots of fun and build confidence while learning critical thinking and strategy.
Our club includes:
- Beginner’s Class – 5 week program for players new to our Chess Club
- Weekly Game Play – Pairings updated weekly based on skill-level matching
- Weekly Chess Problems – Skill building puzzles for each level of player
- Three in-house tournaments – Fun competition organized by skill level or by grade
- Skill Level Progression - Regularly updated player ratings for every child
- Parent- Child Tournament - A single-session, in-house parent-child tournament
- On-going Recognition - Prizes and recognition throughout the year
- Year-end Ceremony – Celebrate and recognize the success and progress of the kids with prizes and awards [format TBD]
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, not all Chess Club activities will be possible. The following activities that have traditionally been a part of the Club will be evaluated and available when considered safe and appropriate:
- Burr Elementary Tournament – Annual Head-to-head competition with Burr Elementary School in Fairfield
- Cesar A. Batalla - Home-and-home chess exchange with our sister school, Cesar A. Batalla School in Bridgeport
- Optional External Tournaments - Voluntary play in external tournaments on Riverfield’s “Chess Team”
The registration fee is $50.00 for one child or $75.00 for one family (regardless of how many children).
Please note: Chess Club is a PTA sponsored club and each family must join the Riverfield PTA in order to participate in Chess Club.
As a PTA sponsored club, we follow all the Riverfield School and PTA guidelines, including the current requirements related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, the club will be virtual for the start of the season and will remain virtual until in-person sessions are allowed for before and after school activities. We will use the on-line play approach and are working on additional ways to engage the kids in the fun of chess until in-person play can resume.
The approach for the virtual Chess Club will include:
- Using the Chess.com platform for game play and chess problems
- Weekly video conference check-in at 8a on Friday’s (session will be recorded if kids cannot join)
- Pre-recorded videos for the Beginner’s Classes
As we get started, here are the important dates:
- September 21st – Registration begins
- October 2nd – Registration ends
- October 9th – Video conference Kick-off at 8am for all players (session will be recorded)
- October 9th – Matches for returning players begin (complete virtually on Chess.com)
- October 12th – Beginner’s Class (for new members) will be available
- October 16th – Friday Check-ins at 8am begin
Please see Information Sheet / Registration Form
All questions should please be directed to the Chess Club’s Parent-Director, Wes Arnett, via email at email@example.com. We hope to see you at Chess Club!
CHESS SIGN UP IS CLOSED - PLEASE CONTACT CHESS CLUB DIRECTOR WITH QUESTIONS